Wednesday, March 21, 2012

36 week appointment

Starting today I go to the doctor every week!! Exciting!!
I had my 36 week visit today which involved a Group B strep culture, cervical exam, exam to determine the baby's position and the other "run of the mill" stuff like blood pressure, urine check, fetal heart rate and questions.
I was relieved to hear that the baby is "in position" with her head down... in fact, wayyyyy down. They said she's at "0 station" which is pretty much a good sign. The "station" refers to how far down her head is and the scale goes from -4 to +4. Zero station basically means she's "engaged!" Here's a pic for all you visual learners out there:

They also told me that my cervix is 50% effaced.... so basically that means that my cervix is softening and shortening to prepare for labor. When you are 100% effaced then labor is about to happen.


All in all, it was a cool visit today! I was glad to learn all that information but I'm cautious about becoming too excited! I know it could still be a looong journey... hopefully at least 1 or 2 more weeks because any sooner than that would be a little premature.

No comments:

Post a Comment